The state of Illinois requires everyone working as a Security Guard to hold a state-certified Security Officer License and Illinois PERC Card during the duration of their employment. Before you can apply for a Security Guard License in the State of Illinois, you have to obtain your Illinois PERC Card. Read further to find out what a PERC Card is and how you can get yours as soon as possible…
About the Illinois PERC Card
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age – 21 for armed security guards.
- You have to be a US citizen or have a US work permit.
- Have your fingerprints taken through electronic fingerprint processing by a Livescan Certified Vendor.
Illinois PERC Card Application in 4 Steps
Step 1 – Download the Illinois PERC Card Application Form
Download the Illinois PERC Card Application Form (PDF) from the Division of Professional Regulation website.
Step 2 – Have your Fingerprints Taken
In the Application Form you’ll find a list of Certified Livescan Fingerprint Vendors. Choose one in your area and call them to make an appointment for electronic fingerprint processing. You may ask them what fee they will be charging you for this service as well. The Fingerprint processing is needed to enable a background screening and make sure you didn’t commit any felonies. When the Fingerprint Scanning is completed, you will be given an electronic fingerprinting receipt.
Step 3 – Complete the Application Form
- Fill out your personal Details on the Application Form
- Attach a Copy of the Electronic Fingerprinting Receipt to the Form
- Attach a Recent Photograph of yourself on the reserved area in the Application Form
- Submit a non-refundable Registration Fee of $55, made payable to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR)
Step 4 – Submit the Application Form
Sign the Application form and send it to the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Your Illinois PERC Card will arrive in the mail within a few weeks.
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
ATTN: Division of Professional Regulation
P.O. Box 7007, SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS 6279
Getting your Illinois Security Guard License