The first step in the process of starting a career as a security guard in the State of Florida is to obtain your Florida Security License. Licensing in Florida is Regulated by The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing. There are 2 types of security guard licenses in Florida:
- Class D License for unarmed security guards
- Glass G license for armed security guards
Class D Security License Florida
Before you can apply for your Florida Class D security license certain requirements need to be met:
- Be 18 years old
- Pass a criminal history background check
- Complete the required Florida Security Guard Training Course
How to Get a Class D Security License Florida
Step 1 – Complete the Training Course
Although a total of 40 hours of training have to be completed to get your Florida Security License, you are allowed to submit a license application after 24 hours. At most of the training schools you can complete the 24 hours of training in a 3-day course. The remaining 16 hours need to be completed within 180 days (6 months) of completing the 24 hour class.
Step 2 – Have your Fingerprints taken
A set of fingerprint cards should be submitted with the Application Form to enable a criminal history background check by the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). The fingerprint cards can be obtained at your training school or local police station.
Step 3 – Download and Submit the Application Form
- Download the official application form here and print it
- Fill in your personal information
- Attach the proof of training
- Attach a color photograph of yourself
- Attach the set of fingerprint cards
- Pay the non-refundable fees. The fees consist of a $45 licensing fee and a $42 fingerprint card processing fee.
Step 4 – Complete the Remaining 16 Hours of Training
In case you completed only 24 hours before submitting your application form, the remaining 16 hours of training need to be completed within 180 days (6 months) of the day you completed the initial course. The 16 hours can in most cases be completed in 2 days.